Top 10 Best Highlighting Kits | Buying Guide
The highlight is extremely important among people besides haircuts, and there is a reason behind it. It helps you have a totally new and trendy look.
Not just that, it brightens your face and adds dimension to the hair. However, highlighting your hair with the right and suitable highlight is vital to grab all these.
Though the applying process is simple, you'll find several options out there. So, the selection process might be harder for you.
This is why here we come up with the lists of best highlights products. So, continue to read to know more about them!
10 Best Highlighting Kits
1. Garnier Nutrisse Multi-Lights Highlighting Kit – H2 Golden Blonde
The highlights kit from Garnier is the most popular, so this is our top pick!
This helps you avail the subtle contrast highlights with its blends of three different oils such as olive, shea, avocado oil.
The ingredients nourish your hair and lock moisture, making your hair soft and smooth for a longer period.
The highlight kit comes with a grape seed oil ampoule, which can be used before the coloring application to increase longevity.
The Garnier highlight gets deep into the hair follicles, nourishing and conditioning them while coloring.
You can get different variations from this brand, but the shade H2 Golden Blonde looks quite amazing on every and natural hair.
This is made with color boost technology that helps highlight even the darkest hair. The kit contains an application brush that offers the ultimate finish to every bunch of your hair highlights.
- Easy to apply
- Offers 100% grey coverage
- Comes with an applicator and gloves
- It is non-drip
- Might be allergic to some, so a patch test is recommendable before applying straight to the hair.
Garnier Hair Color Nutrisse Nourishing Creme, H2 Golden Blonde, 2 Count Beauty & Personal Care
- Nourishing Hair Color: Discover the number 1 Nourishing Color Creme; Nutrisse Color is formulated with color boost technology and a blend of triple fruit oils: avocado, olive, and shea, to deliver permanent hair color, even to dark hair
- Permanent Hair Dye: Garnier Nutrisse hair color crème, with grape seed and avocado oil, comes in a complete hair dye kit and nourishes while it colors with a rich, non drip creme formula
- Garnier Hair Color: For hair nourishing, easy to... Read More
2. Manic Panic Amplified Flash Complete Hair Lightening Kit – 40 Volume Cream Developer
At first, the Manic Panic kit was introduced for pre-lightening hair, which has to be used before applying permanent dye. Later, this has been improved with the formulations to highlight hair.
This can do magic in your natural or darker hair with its improved formulas. The entire magic kit comes with a bleach brush, 40 Volume Cream Developer, and highlighting dye.
This helps you achieve dark blond to platinum grey hair color but depends on how long you leave the color on your hair.
Also, this lifts a hair color up to seven levels so that you can achieve color from light to medium brown I faster.
- Natural ingredients
- Paraben, phthalate, and cruelty-free
- Ammonia free
- PETA accredited
- Packed with developer and applicator
- May cause itchy scalp
MANIC PANIC Flash Lightning Hair Bleach Kit 40 Vol Beauty
- Forty Volume Cream Developer; This Hair Bleaching Kit Lifts Hair Up To Seven Levels; A Premium Hair Lightener; This Kit Prepares Your Mane For Intense MANIC PANIC Hair Dye Colors
- Dust Free Bleach Powder; The Dust Free Bleach Powder Helps To Gently Prepare Hair For Intense Vivid Colors During The Lightening Process; This Hair Bleaching Kit Ensures The Hair Lifts Evenly For Results You Will Love
- Hair Bleach Kit Includes; One Dust Free Bleach Powder; One Forty Volume Cream Deve... Read More
3. Revlon Color Effects Frost & Glow – Platinum
The Revlon highlights kit is for gorgeous, trendy, and exceptional highlights. This has a Keratin moisture complex deep into the hair fiber and adds moisture and nourishment. So, you'll have soft and silky hair for too long.
This is ideal for natural, permed, and even color-treated hair and perfect for the one who wants to lighten the hair color. It comes with a light zones cap to allow you to customize your highlights.
You can use this cap where you want to highlight your hair. If your hair color is blonde to light-brown, this will add depth and dimension to the hair.
- Easy to use and apply
- Do not damage hair
- Ammonia free
- Get a highlighting cap for better process
- This is not the right one for dark hair
Revlon Colorsilk Color Effects Frost and Glow Hair Highlights, At-Home Hair Dye Kit for Natural, Color-Treated & Permed Hair, Platinum, 1 Count Beauty & Personal Care
- ALL IN ONE HOME HIGHLIGHTING KIT: This highlight kit creates salon-inspired highlights that look natural and is perfectly easy to color. Use our kit for permanent highlighting, balayage, frosting, and creating ombre hair
- LEAVES HAIR IN GREAT CONDITION: Going blonde can cause dryness and breakage, but this ammonia-free blonde highlight kit keeps hair shiny and silky with nourishing Keratin Moisture Complex
- TWO WAYS TO GO LIGHTER: The hair frosting kit contains a cap with a pu... Read More
4. L'Oreal Paris Age Perfect By Excellence Layered-Tone Flattering Color – 9N Light Natural Blonde
The hair highlighting kit by Loreal is ideal for one who has gray hair. The Layered Tone Technology in this kit helps you create natural lows and highs in your hair. So, you'll end up having a multi-tonal hair color.
This includes a vital Pro-Keratin Complex to restore hair from within.
So, this is perfect for someone over 50 years old because it offers 70% or more gray coverage with its unique blond highlights.
With this kit, you can have a bouncier and shiner look. As discussed, use this highlight on gray or blond with natural grays either!
- Comes with applicator
- Stay for a too long period
- Adds volume to the hair
- Easy to use
- May offer darker shade than expected
L'Oreal Paris Age Perfect Permanent Hair Color, 9N Light Natural Blonde, 1 kit Beauty & Personal Care
- Haircolor specifically developed for gray hair
- Layered-Tone Crème formula
- Radiant color, full of highlights
- Healthy looking hair full of volume and shine ... Read More
5. L'Oreal Paris Frost & Design Hi-Precision Pull-Through Cap Highlights For Longer Hair – H85 Champagne
The Loreal Paris is perfect for long hair, which imparts a classy and champagne finish. You can find hi-precision pull-through caps and styling hooks in a complete kit that lets you customize your look according to your preferences.
Apart from that, the kit also includes toner to let you use post-application to remove brassy undertones.
This includes a non-grip formula, making the highlight process easy and mess-free.
- The kit includes gloves and a mixing tray for better application
- Comes with toner for eliminating undertones
- Ease of use
- Non-drip formula for mess-free application
- The cap might be uncomfortable for some
L'Oreal Paris Frost and Design Cap Hair Highlights For Long Hair, H85 Champagne, 1 kit Beauty & Personal Care
- Frost and Design's hi-precision pull-through cap for perfectly placed, professional looking highlights
- Customize your look with two hook options for bold or subtle highlights, or mix it up, with a sun-kissed glow
- Create perfectly precise, even highlights on long hair, perfect for hair length that goes past shoulders
- Frost and Design includes toning rinse to finish, so hair is shiny not brassy, and infused with extra shine
- Designed for no mess application,... Read More
6. Sun Bum Blonde Lighten And Tone Kit
The highlight kits by Sun Bum use the heat of the sun or hairdryer to leave excellent highlights. This contains Meyer lemon and Costa Rican pineapple for chemical-free highlighting hair.
So, this would be the best choice for someone who is afraid of chemicals.
The kit comes with Hair Lightener for better highlighting effects and toner for eliminating brassiness and bringing out cooler blond tones.
This is specifically designed to change the color from a blond to a natural sun-kissed look.
This product also protects hair from frizziness, humidity, dullness, and oxidation while highlighting.
This is perfectly suitable for women, both natural and color-treated hair.
- Comes with a spray bottle to let you use it easily
- Paraben and cruelty-free
- Prevents hair from several factors such as fizziness, etc
- May turn your hair to brassy
Sun Bum Lighten and Tone Kit | Blonde Hair Lightener and Tone Enhancer Travel Kit | Vegan, Paraben, Gluten and Cruelty Free Beauty
- LIGHTEN AND TONE KIT. Lighten up all year round with our Lighten & Tone products, perfect for bringing out your blonde side or adding a few sun-kissed highlights. We’re stoked to share one of our best secrets with you.
- GOOD VIBES FOR YOUR HAIR. Keeping your mane tame is easy with our products made specifically for blonde babes! Protect against frizz, humidity, UV oxidation and dullness with our color-enriching regimen. Perfect for natural or color treated hair
- HOW ... Read More
7. L'Oreal Paris Touch-On Highlights – Iced Champagne
This highlighting kit is another product from Loreal Paris, which delivers a radiant and dimensional highlight to the hair.
You can have a Control-Touch FingerTIP applicator along with the kit that lets you achieve even highlights.
This is perfect for the one who wishes to have clear subtle or dramatic highlights. This kit allows you to apply this yourself without anyone's help. But you need a cap or foils for the application.
This can do wonders on medium to dark blond hair and even on dirty blonde hair.
- Comes with an applicator for easy application
- Stays for a too long period on your hair
- Easy to use
- Great on dark hair
- May turn the hair brassy
Touch On Highlights Iced Champagne Hair Highlighting Products Beauty
- Controllable and Customizable Highlights
- Control-Touch Fingertip For Easy use
- Create Your Own Look - Subtle or Dramatic
- For Beginners or Highlighting Experts ... Read More
8. 'N Rage White Out Kit
The highlights kit by N Rage is ideal for darker hair as this can lift color up to any level and hair. It comes with a 10 minutes quick-absorbing formula with its 40 Vol Peroxide.
You can avail the highlights up to stark white when used on blond-colored hair.
This comes with toner to help you remove left-out brassy tones on your hair.
If you go for funky colors like pink or green, lift your natural hair color with this product and apply the funky colors you want.
This can be suitable for any hair texture and color, so you have no worries like other products.
- Excellent on any hair
- Quick absorbing formula
- Comes with conditioning toner
- You need to be more careful while applying it to the hair because even small mistakes can damage your hair.
'N Rage Bleach & Toner Kit, White Out Kit Pre Color Hair Bleach Kit Chemical Hair Dyes Beauty
- EXPRESS YOURSELF WITH ‘N Rage: Rock different hair colors that match your mood with ‘N Rage White Out Kit. It’s a 2-step system that takes bleaching to the next level, so you can achieve the color that you want as you want it!
- YOUR ALL-IN-ONE BLEACH KIT: Achieve vivid, long-lasting ‘N Rage color results by pre-lightening dark hair with this all-in-one kit. ‘N Rage White Out Kit works with off-the-scalp 10-Minute Bleach formula that is activated with 40 Vo... Read More
9. Clairol Balayage fort/pour Blondes
Are you looking for customizable highlights for blond hair? Then, this is the right product for you. It has an incredible crème formula that lets you achieve subtle or sun-kissed or bold highlights.
This comes with a highlights cap, brush, and a hook. The highlight kit by Clairol is excellent for light to dark blond hair.
Try hand painting highlights with this color for a thicker look.
- Easy to use
- Shiner look
- Ideal for sensitive scalp with blond hair
- Thicker finish
- Might not be the one for dark hair
Clairol Nice'n Easy Balayage Permanent Hair Dye, Blondes Hair Color, 3 Count Hair Highlighting Products Beauty
- Kit is a pack of 3 Nice n Easy Hairpainting hair color formulas. Each pack includes a conditioner, developing cream, and highlighting powder to create permanent, subtle, blond highlight effects. Color is applied through a cap & hook system with brush.
- Nice n Easy Hairpainting blond highlights are intended for use on light blond to dark Blonde base color. Product is ideal for all-over blond highlights, or just frame your face or add an ombre effect. You could also reset your color ... Read More
10. SplaT Complete Kit – Lightening Bleach
The SplaT Complete is a semi-permanent highlighting kit that lasts up to 30 washes. This imparts a rich highlight on virgin or dark hair during a vibrant finish on bleached or lightened hair.
This contains panthenol and conditioners to lock or replenish the moisture in your hair. It comes with gloves, shampoo, and conditioner.
The complete kit helps maintain the pH level of the hair after highlighting.
- Ideal for darker and even lighten hair
- Maintains pH and moisture level
- Never leaves hair dry
- Not stays too long
Splat Semi permanent Hair Color Kit inLightening Bleach Body Hair Bleaching Products Beauty
- ... Read More
Who Should Buy Hair Highlights?
The highlight kit is for someone who wants to change hair color a bit, without being too drastic. This can impart a subtle, at the same time, noticeable change in color to the hair.
As discussed, there are so many options to choose from. However, not all the highlights are the same and suit your hair.
This is because it is necessary to choose the right highlights that suit your hair!
For instance, some light blond highlights only work excellent on brunette hair. Apart from the usual highlights, it is possible to add some funky highlights with some kits!
Whatever you choose should reflect or fulfill your wish!
Important Features To Consider
The best hair highlights should be excellent to your hair in color, consistency, durability, etc. There are some things to consider while choosing the best hair highlights for your hair.
The highlights that you'll choose should be capable of lasting too long a period without fading out. On the other hand, your hair will definitely outgrow, and retouch up will be required at a certain point in time. But, it is not always possible to purchase a single kit every time.
So, it is vital to choose the highlight kit that is permanent or semi-permanent as they can last too long, and there is no need to surf around every time.
Considering highlighting hair is just a fun task, not a daunting process, so that you can enjoy it while coloring hair. Also, find the highlight kit, applicator, comb, or spray that lets you do the process easier and specifically, which helps you attain your desired highlights.
It is not always possible to buy every single kit from a different place, so consider buying all the necessary tools and highlight kits.
There are a lot of highlight kits that come with required tools like brush, cap, spray, gloves, etc. So, go for the one with that unique option.
Whatever it is, a highlight or global hair coloring, everyone's choices would be identical. We all will go for chemical-free dyes as they are safe on the hair, don't affect the health.
This is because you need to pay attention to the ingredients of the highlight kits. You can find a component called ammonia in most hair color kits. However, ammonia is adequate to the hair but not good for health.
You can easily find the presence of ammonia in the kit with its smell, which is too hard and challenging to get rid of that.
We advised you not to choose the highlight kit with ammonia to ensure your good health.
Not all highlight kits are the same but varied in some features. There are so many options, and some can dry out the hair after using it. So, always go for the highlight kit with natural ingredients like essential oils and shea butter, which locks the moisture and nourishment inside the hair while highlighting.
You can find plenty of options that are vegan on the market today. So, consider choosing them to kick out the dryness and stringy hair away while adding color to the hair!
The price of the highlight kit is also one of the important factors that should be considered. As discussed, there are a lot of options out there with the same features but different prices. So, it is necessary to compare the product from one another to find the best one at an affordable price.
However, there are many eCommerce sites like Amazon that come with the best offer. So, choose to purchase highlight kits from these sites for a better price.
Benefits of Highlights
1. Less Maintenance Than A Lighter Base
Can't you decide between highlights or global or lighter shades? Probably! The highlights are easier to maintain than lighter shades all the way.
The other thing is when your hair base is lighter, then, the contrast between your base color and root regrowth hair color might not be pleasant.
It means you need to retouch your hair at least six to eight weeks once to make the base color look best. However, the regrowth is subtler with the highlights.
Usually, the hair is highlighted to enhance the appearance of the person. But it is also crucial to consider the hair damages before going for any coloring treatment. If it's the case, the highlighting hair doesn't affect the hair much as you don't always go for it.
2. Less Hair Damage
The less chemical treatment on the hair means less hair damage. The hair probably takes several weeks to recover from dryness or damages to prior coloring. So, when you go for global coloring with a lighter base, there are possibilities for damaged hair, especially on frequent dying.
With highlights, there is less chance of getting hair damage as you don't want highlight hair like global, and only small bunches of hair are being colored. So there is no need to worry about dry or damaged hair.
When you opt for highlights, you have control over your look as they allow you to go with any shades you prefer. Some may prefer thicker streaks, while others may want subtle or more visible or noticeable highlights.
You can also go with the following highlights: full highlights, partial highlights, or face-framing highlights.
This can help you to have a more organic look than other coloring techniques. Since the highlights are versatile, they can be compatible with the natural hues of your hair quickly.
4. Enhanced Look
Enhancing the look of the hair is hard to achieve, but it is possible only with the highlights. A one-dimensional hair dye makes your hair dull and thinner. Lightening hair may probably contribute to good texture, depth, and the illusion of volume, but the overall look can only be enhanced with highlights (both lighter and darker shades).
5. Enhanced Skin Tone
Moreover, adding highlights to your hair helps enhance the skin complexion. The highlights contribute to lighter skin complexions. Choosing the right shade can leave your skin with a warm tone for long, even for a darker complexion.
As discussed, a face-framing highlight is one of its features, so you can enhance the look of eyes and facial features with these highlights.
6. Disguises Greys
Are you getting tired of your greys? Then, highlights are the best way to cover it only with less maintenance. This blends with your greys and disguises the line between your current and regrowth grey color.
7. Modernize Your Style
When you're committed to the trendier haircuts, it won't get fulfilled without the highlights. They can only modernize your style and leave you a gorgeous stylish look. It is because highlighting hair is essential to change or enhance your look.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the different types of highlights?
There are different types of highlights on the market today. You can choose the shades according to your needs. For example, if you want something totally subtle, then the babylights would be perfect while very light blonde for a sun-kissed look.
Balayage, on the other hand, will be the best option for a more stunning look and the ribbon highlights for curly or wavy hairs.
Finally, the frosted highlights would be a better option for a bolder look.
- How long do highlights take to process?
Before getting into the highlights, it is important to make a strand test to avoid unnecessary damages. This is good for your hair and health, and also, you can know the exact processing time of highlights.
Some will use heat to make the process faster, which can lead you to many problems, and it should be avoidable during the process.
And your hair texture and type determine the process timing. If your hair is complete enough to highlight without bleaching, you don't want much time. You can directly apply the highlight cream to your required sections.
Approximately it will take around 1 hour for the complete process, including the application process, staying time, and rinsing the hair.
The first thing you should do before highlighting your whole head of hair is to do a strand test. These are typically recommended by the manufacturer of your hair highlighting kit. The steps to do a
- Can you highlight your hair after coloring?
This all depends on the time you've colored your hair before. Usually, it is not a good idea to process both at once as they contain a lot of chemicals and may damage your hair.
If you want to give both coloring and highlights to your hair, it is better to color hair first and wait for 2 to 3 weeks and get highlights done. Meanwhile, you can choose the highlight shades that are great on your hair.
If you're decided to highlight hair in your home, then choose the best highlight kits to be essential for better results without any hair damage.
Besides that, you'll need to be more patient during the process as it takes a little bit to complete it.
We advise you to follow the instructions carefully on each step. Some hair needs to be bleached before highlights, and if it's mishandled, it may damage your hair. So, it is better to discuss with the experts before getting into the process.
All the listed highlight kits are more effective on various hair types than their counterparts. So, select the one that can do wonders on your hair.